Conference breakups, Blan basketball, other stuff

Hello again everyone. This is a long overdue update to the King of Online Radio blog. Which is actually my personal blog that happens to be linked to our website.

I really want to get back to writing updates more often. I've said that before, but have always failed. This is a good outlet for some random news, thoughts, and whatever I have on my mind at the time. I also want to get my anime blog updated as well. I never finished the string of posts that I was on over there, either. I'd love to shoot for daily updates, but if I can update each blog at least once a week, I'd be pleased with that.

The biggest news since I last broadcast a football game is the end of the Fort Ancient Valley Conference as we know it. This big bombshell actually started when East Clinton voted 3-2 to exit the Southern Buckeye Conference for the South Central Ohio League. This blocked Wilmington's move into that league, but sent the signal loud and clear to the rest of the FAVC that Wilmington was looking for an exit.

At the same time, Norwood, who had previously petitioned the SBC for entry, saw its opening with East Clinton's exit to join the SBC. With Norwood's exit, seven more FAVC schools decided it was time to secede from the league and form its own conference, which will be known as the Eastern Cincinnati Conference. The ECC will start in 2012-13 with Anderson, Glen Este, Kings, Loveland, Milford, Turpin and Walnut Hills. They are still looking for an eighth member, but that member will not be Wilmington.

In addition, six of the western FAVC schools also pulled out of the league. Edgewood, Harrison, Mount Healthy, Northwest, Ross and Talawanda would leave and try to form an eight-team league of their own. Wilmington, of course, also announced they were heading out of the FAVC.

Where Wilmington will end up is a huge question at this point. The SCOL and ECC want no part of Wilmington. That leaves Wilmington three options - try to join the Southern Buckeye Conference, join with the six western FAVC schools, or go independent. I've been told by sources that the SBC would accept Wilmington - if they can get another school to come in with Wilmington.

The two obvious choices aren't as obvious as you might think on the surface. Little Miami would be choice #1. However, another failed levy next spring next spring will mean the end of all extra curricular activities. No league wants to take a school that may not be able to participate in league sports. So barring a miracle, Little Miami is out.

The other really obvious choice to me is Fayetteville. They already have built-in rivalries with Georgetown (girls basketball, especially) and Blanchester (due to location). They also have varsity football, which would fit in nicely in the National Division. But sources tell us Fayetteville isn't interested, and would rather stay in the Southern Hills League.

So I'm not sure how this whole process will shake out. All we can say is - stay tuned.

Blanchester's boys basketball team is off to another good start. The defending Southern Buckeye Conference National Division Champions are 3-0 in league play, which includes a 56-46 win at Georgetown Friday night. Also unbeaten in league play is Williamsburg.

I never thought I'd be writing this, but Blanchester and Williamsburg will likely battle to the end of the season for the SBC National Division title.

For those of us who witness some of the epic battles between these two teams in the past 20 years, that is a hard statement to swallow. Many years, these two schools were fighting to avoid last place in the SBC. Some of their meetings came with both teams winless on the season. I had the (mis)fortune of covering some of those games for local media. I also kept the scorebook for a few of those games.

It is truly a great thing that these two schools now fight for the league championship trophy instead of toiling in futility. I'm glad I stuck around high school basketball long enough for that to happen.

This season is the 18th season I have spent at the scorer's table for Blanchester basketball. I haven't worked every game - I took most of one season off from boys one year and missed a few games covering other games for local media outlets. But I've seen my share. Blan's success has made me think back on the times I've had over the last nearly two decades. I've met so many wonderful people both passing through Blanchester, and around the SBC and KTC over the years. I've worked with dozens of home scorekeepers and probably nearly a hundred visiting scorekeepers. I've trained several clock operators. I've worked with hundreds of officials, some of which weren't terrible.

Someday, probably sooner rather than later, I'll finally retire the microphone and let someone else take that spot that I've blessed to have for the last 18 years. I'm sure I'll have something to say about that when that day comes. Check back in February (maybe). :)

A few other random thoughts to close this entry:

  • For the record, I'm tired of snow. Seriously. Could be looking at snow for Christmas Eve.
  • UC Basketball is 10-0. I don't know how long they'll be unbeaten, but at least it is enjoyable to watch them play this season.
  • Really tired of NBA basketball. Can we just contract the league down to Miami, New York, Chicago, San Antonio, Dallas, Orlando, LA Lakers and Dallas. That way Sportscenter would have more time for hockey highlights (who am I kidding? They'd just show 10 minute long NBA highlights then).
  • Really tired of seeing Cleveland Cavaliers on FS Ohio HD channel instead of Blue Jackets. Last time I checked, I'm much farther away from Cleveland than Columbus. Plus, who wants to watch the Cavs anymore? I didn't watch them when they had Lebron.
  • The commentators on the Division III game were terrible. Sounded like they were both graduates of Wisconsin Whitewater. A shame that Mount Union couldn't pull out the win.

That's all for tonight. More coming soon, I hope!

Comments