TDA: Best Effort of the Season

After a night like last night, you start to think that Goshen may not be out of the SBC American Division race just yet.

Goshen plays what I think is their best game of the season (especially the first half) en route to a 38-6 victory over Batavia. The Bulldogs managed just two field goals against a stingy Goshen defense. The Warrior offense clicked on all cylinders, starting with the very first play from scrimmage. Jaimie Ashcraft's 69-yard run to the Batavia 1 set the tone for the entire night.

Of course, it was a 17-3 game midway through the second quarter when the Warriors were the benefit of a "phantom" turnover at the Goshen 45 with the Bulldogs driving down the field. All four of us in the radio booth failed to see Goshen end up with the football. But the ensuing drive for a touchdown, followed by the fumbled kickoff and subsequent score, put the game well out of reach at 31-3 at the intermission.

Now, back to what I stated in the open. After losing to Western Brown, I'll be the first to admit I didn't give Goshen much a chance to climb back into the race in the SBC-American Division. But last night's effort coupled with New Richmond's stunning 13-12 loss at East Clinton, gives the Warrior faithful some hope.

The scenario is simple: If Goshen could upset New Richmond Friday and defeat Bethel-Tate in two weeks, and if New Richmond then can beat Western Brown, there would be a three-way tie for the division title. Ties are not broken in the SBC - so if that happens Goshen would claim its second SBC-A title in a row, even though it would have to share this one. I'm sure Nick Inabnitt and his team won't mind one bit.

Having said that ... this will be an angry New Richmond team coming into Goshen next Friday night. It won't be easy, that's for sure. But the Warrior faithful have to feel a little better about its team's chances after a strong effort Friday at Batavia.

In other football news from Friday:
  • Yes, I did pick East Clinton over New Richmond. So I'm 1-1 with my EC upset picks. At 4-3, if the Astros can run the table (which I think they will), they'll get to 7-3. I predict that will be good enough to finish in the top 10 in Region 20. Whether that gets them into the top 8 and into the playoffs ... well ... I'm not ready to make that prediction just yet.
  • Glad to see Blanchester pick up its second straight victory. It is always nice to get a win on homecoming night and an easy win is even better. After EC next Friday (which will be tough), they've got two winnable games to finish the season at CNE and home with Batavia. 4-6 would not be a bad finish after an 0-5 start.
  • Glad that game against London proved that Clinton-Massie is beatable, huh? Yeah ... that statement by a local radio host (who I won't mention - they don't need the plug) in a postgame show last week is just as stupid this week as it was last week. Just ask McClain how beatable Massie is. Having said that ... 10-0 will be tough with Jonathan Alder standing in the way in week 10. I like Alder in that game ... in a close one. Our program may not be on the regular radio ... but I think our perspective on local HS football is just a little better than anybody on any local radio station around here.
  • I would love to sit here and predict that Little Miami is going to run the table and go 9-1 and make the playoffs. But those next two games are BRUTAL. They get Turpin at home (who was unbeaten until being pounded by Kings last night), then they must go to Kings (who may be the best 4-3 team in the entire state). 7-3 may not be good enough to get into the playoffs ... but 8-2 may be. Can the Panthers steal one at home next week against Turpin to set up a showdown at Kings for the FAVC Cardinal Division title in two weeks?

Other football notes ... glad to see UC was able to take care of business against Marshall. I think they've got as good a chance as anyone in the Big East to win the conference and get that BCS bowl game. I may have to make a road trip for that one.

Michigan looked terrible today, especially after that quick start. It is going to be a long up-and-down season for U of M fans.

How can you not root for Vanderbilt and what they are doing. They beat Auburn today 14-13 for their first win against the Tigers since 1955 and their first 5-0 start since 1943. That is awesome.

We've got a bunch of new content on the KOR. We now have two new blogs ... the Anime blog (written mostly by yours truly) and the KOR Music Blog written mostly by Mike. Of course ... I'll still be here at least weekly writing my latest thoughts on all things HS sports and more. I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to subject myself to the Bengals game tomorrow. I think I might just work instead.

Comments