Blue Jackets struggles, other notes

Hello again. It's been a while since I've sat down to write a blog. I've been doing more writing this year for the News Journal (as well as continuing my sports articles for Crosspoint Magazine).

I spent Thursday night in my favorite big city, Columbus, to watch my favorite sport, hockey. Unfortunately, my favorite team, the Blue Jackets, hardly resemble an NHL team right now.

More on that in a minute. First, the positives. I love going to Nationwide Arena. It's a great building. Sat in the club seats last night, which was nice. I think I'll probably return to the lower bowl next time, but it was a nice change.

Thanks to some frequent stay points, I got a free hotel room at the Hyatt Regency Columbus as well. I love this hotel. I come here every year for Ohayocon in January. It is nice to come here when the weather isn't miserable.

If the opportunity presented itself, I'd move to Columbus in a heartbeat. Amazing considering I'm not even an Ohio State fan.

Enough about that, though. Let's talk about the poor play of the home team.

I work nights, so thankfully I haven't had to watch many of the Blue Jackets' games this season. What I have watched has been poor. Last night was no exception.

Before I talk about everything that Columbus did wrong, I would be remiss if I didn't give some credit to Chicago. They are very talented.

I've seen the Blue Jackets since the first game. I've watched minor league hockey for years. This was as bad a performance as I've ever seen in person. If not for a couple of power play goals, the outcome could (and should) have been much worse.

Columbus spent the first 25 minutes of the game chasing Chicago around the ice. They were a step behind at every turn, and were lucky not to be down 8-0. While Steve Mason let in a couple of bad goals, he made a couple of great saves that kept the score from getting outrageous (again).

While Chicago completed sharp, fundamental tape-to-tape passes in all zones, Columbus continued to try to throw blind, wild passes that continued to either get deflected or stolen outright. Rick Nash, Columbus' best player (supposedly), had an especially egregious turnover. On the half-wall in the offensive zone, he whipped a wild pass back to the point. There was just one Columbus defender at the point. Between Nash and said defender was three Blackhawks. It sent Chicago on a 3-on-1 rush the other way. I can't remember if Chicago scored on that rush, but I believe they did.

This is the problem with Columbus. This team was assembled by Scott Howson to be a wide-open style attacking team. They don't have the skill to play that way (it doesn't help that Jeff Carter has been out). Now, they're trying to tighten up their play, and they don't have the players to play that way either. They make errors, get behind, then go right back to playing high-risk, low reward hockey that results in 6-3 losses and frustrated fans streaming out of Nationwide (except for the 5,000 Chicago fans there).

As a brief aside - I think it is stupid to do a "Chili" chant when you are down 6-3. When Columbus scores three goals in a game, you get a free bowl of Wendy's chili the next day. So they do a chant for Chili to the theme of the "Mexican Hat Dance." As a diehard fan, that seems so stupid when you are getting curb stomped again. At least the fans do get something for having to watch that wretched effort.

So how do you fix the problems? There is no quick fix. This season is unfortunately lost. But this franchise must do whatever it can between now and next season to fix what is broken.

First off, Mike Priest must go. He's the one that has built the current front office. Obviously, he doesn't know what he is doing. If he is allowed to choose the next general manager, how can you be sure it will be any different. Hire a hockey guy and let him build a franchise.

His first move would be to fire Scott Howson. Rumor has it that Howson is being held onto until the realignment issue is settled with the league. That seems a bit unfair to Howson. Thanks for getting us in the East - you're fired.

The new GM would have to make a decision on Scott Arneil. I'm not totally convinced he's at fault for what is happening, but it is hard to tell at this point. The new GM must make a decision - build a team that fits what Arneil does best, or let him go and make a clean start.

The new GM should have free reign to get rid of any players that he deems to be part of the problem. This includes Rick Nash. I've always been a fan of Nash. He is a tremendously talented player. However, if his leadership in the locker room is leading to the types of efforts we've seen lately out of the Jackets, he's part of the problem. He dominates in international competition with Canada, but he doesn't have to lead that group. This team needs a strong, stern voice with a clear message on how things need to be done. If Nash can provide that, build around him. If not, rebuild by shipping him out.

While Columbus' defense has been atrocious (it sure was last night), Steve Mason is looking like part of the problem as well. The Jackets rolled the dice by not bringing in a competent veteran backup to push him. Their backup, Mark Dekanich, has been hurt all season. For all we know, he may be the next coming of Patrick Roy. When he gets back healthy, it's time to find out. Mason makes two or three brilliant saves. Then he gives up a goal that a beer-league goalie would be ashamed to allow.

It is not enough to show flashes of brilliance. Consistency is needed to play in the NHL. I'm not sure Mason has it.

There are more problems as well, but this franchise must start with its biggest problems and go from there. This is a critical time for this franchise in this market. I don't want to lose my NHL team. They need to get their act together before the team ends up in Quebec City.

Don't forget to join me Saturday night as I call Clinton-Massie's Region 16 semifinal against Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m live from Dwire Field at Atrium Stadium in Mason. Listen live at www.wnewsj.com.

Comments