The Day Before: King of the Road

OK ... it's been a very busy week for me. So busy I didn't get to pen a TDA post this past weekend. Or maybe it was the downer of watching my Bearcats get bombed, my Bobcats blow one at OSU, and the Bengals looking like the Bungals. But the weekend got off to a good start on Friday night with Goshen picking up win #1 over CNE, 21-7.

Last Friday was also a lesson of how "Mother Nature" always has the last laugh on a radio broadcast. The previous week, we streamed the entire game on my wireless internet card and had no problems. But with the poor weather Friday, it caused our broadcast to continuously get dropped until we finally switched to phone line in the 2nd quarter. So my apologies to those who missed some of the game Friday night.

With the forecast for lots of rain tomorrow, we'll be on phone line from the get go this time. Don't want to drop the broadcast in the King of the Road game.

So a couple of thoughts from last week's game:
  • I thought the Goshen defense was very, very good Friday night. They didn't allow any points, and I'm not sure they even allowed more than one or two first downs all night. I'm sure Coach Inabnitt had a smile on his face watching that defensive tape. Tony Thompson also had a very nice "Pick-6" on a floated pass in the second half.
  • Of course, announcer types like myself usually will use the bad weather as an excuse for mishandled snaps or handoffs. Coaches rarely do. So I'm sure the 8 fumbles (4 lost) for Goshen last week was a point of emphasis this week. While the weather certainly had something to do with it, Goshen knows it can't turn the ball over 5 times against Blanchester and get away without allowing a defensive touchdown.

Other thoughts from last weekend:

  • I said to watch out for East Clinton. I'm starting to like that prediction. They played Clinton-Massie tough for three quarters Friday night.
  • I'm glad to see Blanchester's offense get on track a bit against a very good Western Brown team. I think the last 2/3 of their season will go much better than the first 1/3. They could still win the SBC National Division.
  • It's a shame that Little Miami's unbeaten season ended against Milford, but Milford is another team that hasn't really known football success recently, and they are now 3-0. I'm sure the pouring rain wasn't very good for the LM passing game. They'll rebound though. I still think 7-3 for the Panthers is very possible.

So, since it is Thursday already, I guess I should give my thoughts on Friday's games. Of course, King of the Road (on the KOR, live 7:30) is the main event.

  • It is very cliche to say that the team that takes care of the ball better will win the game. If it is going to rain from start to finish, that will be the likely decider. Of course, I never make picks on games that I am broadcasting. The only shame about the weather is that it may hold down what would likely be a decent crowd. Of course, you can hear the game on the KOR if you decide to stay in the warmth of your own home!
  • Game not to go see this week: New Richmond (3-0) at Williamsburg (0-3). Ugh. It could rain, snow or hail and it's not going to make this game any easier to watch. NR will likely hang half-a-hundred on them, and 60 is not out of the question.
  • Game other than ours to go see this week: Western Brown (3-0) at East Clinton (1-2). Shhh! Don't tell WB that EC is my sleeper pick of the year. If EC can physically stay with WB for four quarters, I think they can hang in there until the end.

One other note - my brother John and I are seriously considering doing live election coverage on the KOR on Election night. So if anyone has any ideas of what they'd like to hear that night, let us know.

And finally, my weekly thanks goes out to Dorsey Spears, who does a fantastic job helping us with stats and laughing at our bad jokes. He is just one of the many people who help us each and every week with our broadcast. Thanks to everyone who calls in updates, and thanks to everyone who continues to listen. We hope to talk to you tomorrow night.

Comments